The SCA is an international organization dedicated to researching and recreating the arts and skills of pre 17th century Europe. our "Known World" consists of 20 Kingdoms, with 30,000 members residing in countries around the World.Members of the SCA Study and take part in a variety of activities,including combat, archery, equestrain, costuming, cooking, metalwork, wood working, music, dance calligraphy, fiber arts, and much more.
Greetings, Newcomer! Welcome to the Barony of Gryphon's Lair!
We know that the Society may look intimidating, you may have many questions, and you may not know where to begin. Do not feel discouraged, remember that even the most distinguished knight out on the field or even the King of Artemisia himself was once in the position of a newcomer, wondering how to get involved. There is a wealth of information out there that includes a vast number of topics on everything from heraldry to bow-making. However, you are probably first interested in how to make a set of garb and how to get involved. For some it is easy. Perhaps you have an interest in archery, fighting, brewing or blacksmithing? There are many groups out there focused on many different aspects of the Society. There’s even a bardic group for those who are musically inclined. For others, it may take a bit of searching to find that place where they really feel they belong, but it all boils down to, “How do I get started?”
The Chatelaine’s focus is on helping newcomers comfortably enter our Society.
- Artemisia Library – The Kingdom of Artemisia (Utah, Idaho, Montana and parts of Colorado) has a library on-line with articles focused on our Kingdom.
- Society for Creative Anachronism Newcomers Page – This page is on the SCA official website.
- Newcomers Portal – The Barony of Caerthe (Denver, CO) in the Kingdom of the Outlands has a very nice introduction page that describes the basics for anyone to get started in the SCA.
People You Should Know Starting Out
- Baron & Baroness – The leaders of our great Barony.
- Seneschal – The administrative head of the Barony and its legal representative.
- Chatelaine – Responsible for helping newcomers and arranging demonstrations.
- Exchequer – The financial officer of the Barony.
- Youth Minister – Responsible for coordinating youth activities in the Barony.